Most people would agree that summer time is the most enjoyable season of all: it’s a time for gorgeous weather, barbecues with friends, family vacations and lazy afternoons at the pool. But did you know that it’s also the #1 season for home invasion crimes? Fine weather brings out the best in us, but it also brings out the worst in criminals: so it’s essential to know the statistics and then take every precaution necessary to avoid becoming a victim. Here are some facts and statistics as well as suggestions.
A FEW HOME INVASION FACTS AND STATS
- Home invasions make up more than 75% of all criminal activity in the United States (FBI).
- According to a recent Reuters news story, the current economic disaster is also having an effect: ” Of the 100 agencies who linked crime rises to the economic crisis, 39 percent said they had seen an increase in robberies [and a] 32 percent an uptick in burglaries.”
- A burglary takes place in the United States every 14.6 seconds according to a prominent crime reporting program.
- Most residential burglaries occur during the daylight hours when people are at work.
- Favorite items for theft are guns, jewelry, cash, watches, computers and DVD players; what do these all have in common? They’re valuable, highly portable and easy to take on impulse.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Since most home invasions are crimes of opportunity, make it harder for burglars to access your home: invest in all-steel exterior doors with the latest deadbolt technologies; keep windows locked; install motion-sensitive lighting, get a burglar alarm system, etc.
- Burglars look for the easiest targets and consider factors such as accessibility, hiding places and convenient escape routes: take the necessary steps to make your home a “hard” target.
- Keep highly sought-after items securely stored in a high quality home safe like the ones designed and manufactured by Cannon Safe. Even if a burglar does obtain entry into your home, chances are good that they will come away with virtually nothing. Home safes are an extra layer of protection against property loss, and they also allow you to keep your valuables nearby for when you need them.
Don’t become another home invasion statistic this summer! Take the necessary steps to burglar-proof your home as much as possible and you will enjoy greater peace of mind along with a more pleasant summer season.
Would you like to sign up for the Cannon Safe Newsletter? If so, click here.